Saturday, November 29, 2008
Goshen's Carnegie Library
Goshen's Carnegie Library was the first one in Indiana. Dave Zollinger photo.
Goshen has a Carnegie Library, as do many towns do. But Goshen has the distinction of of having the first Carnegie Library that was built in the State of Indiana.
Located at the corner of 5th & Washington Streets, the classic building now serves as Goshen's City Hall. The current Goshen Public Library is now located about four blocks to the south at the corner of 5th & Purl Streets.
Historical marker at Goshen's Carnegie Library. Dave Zollinger photo.
Indiana's first Carnegie library opened here 1903 with 3, 000 volumes. Goshen Library Association received $25, 000 in Carnegie grants 1901. Public donations, land purchase, and tax levy met Carnegie grant conditions. Architects Patton & Miller, Chicago, designed Beaux-Arts style structure. Library moved 1968; commercial and nonprofit uses followed.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1983. Renovated building reopened 2001housing city offices. Original features of decorative marble, fireplaces, and domed rotunda retained. One of 1, 679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie libraries than any other state.
For travellers following the Lincoln Highway through Goshen, a visit to the building will require a detour of only 1 block from Lincoln Highway Route (Main Street).
Goshen's Carnegie Library, originally opened to the public in 1903, now serves as Goshen's City Hall. Dave Zollinger photo.
A scan of an old post card from the collection of the Goshen Historical Society showing the Goshen Carnegie Library. Date that the photo was taken is unknown. Postcard has a stamp cancellation date of 1912. Courtesy of the Goshen Historical Society.
Map to Goshen's Carnegie Library:
View Larger Map